The social distance protocol which forms part of the COVID-19 containment measures in the churches and mosques is still in force despite the President’s new directive of easing of restrictions on religious activities in the country, Mr. Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Information Minister has said.
Mr. Nkrumah said the directive given by the President during the 14th Covid-19 update was that religious activities could go on for two hours and the number of worshipers at a time could exceed 100 people.
He added that the maximum number of people gathering in a church or mosque’s auditorium would be determined by the capacity of the auditorium with respect to the social distance protocol.
The Minister, who made this remark at a press briefing in Accra on Tuesday, said the President gave the new directive on the basis of the success of the previous easing of restrictions on religious activities in the country.
According to him, in addition to the social distancing protocols, wearing of a nose mask, regular washing of hands with soap and the use of hand sanitizers should not be taken for granted at the church and mosque’s premises.
On the sporting activities, Mr. Nkrumah said although contact sporting activities remain restricted, the Ghana Health Service (GHS) has granted the request by the Ghana Football Association to allow two female national teams to resume training in preparation for FIFA international tournaments.
He added that the Ghana Football Association, the GHS and the management of the two teams had been mandated to come up with a mechanism to ensure that the safety of the teams was assured while preparing for these tournaments.
On his part, the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr Patrick Kuma Aboagye, said the removal of the restriction on public transportation was based on the evidence that the risk of transfer of COVID-19 in vehicles was low.
He said the usual spread of the virus due to contact with an infected person or droplets from breathing, speaking, shouting and singing was not occurring in public transports.
Dr. Aboagye added that contact tracing has revealed that no person has contracted the virus through an infected person in public transport.